Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap: Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies with Gingerbread Oreos

Seasonally flavored treats are out in full force right now. In particular, I've been intrigued by all things gingerbread: gingerbread Twix (the gingerbread flavor is in the caramel!), gingerbread M&Ms, and gingerbread Oreos. So I thought I'd take inspiration from them when baking my cookies for this year's Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. I decided to use the Oreos as I've used them in cookie recipes before, and the gingerbread ones were quite yummy. 


Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies with Gingerbread Oreosadapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book(makes about forty 1 oz. cookies)

Ingredients
  • 15 oz. bread flour
  • 5.25 oz. dark brown sugar
  • 3/4t baking soda
  • 1T cinnamon
  • 1T ground ginger
  • 1/2t ground cloves
  • 1/2t salt
  • 12T (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4c light molasses
  • 2T milk
  • 5 oz. Gingerbread Oreos, chopped
  • sugar for rolling
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment.
  2. Process the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt together in a food processor until combined, about 10 seconds. Add the butter and process until the mixture is very fine and sandy, about 15 seconds. 
  3. With the machine running, add the molasses and milk in a steady stream through the feed tube and continue to process until the dough comes together, about 10 seconds.
  4. Transfer dough to a large bowl and stir in chopped gingerbread Oreos.
  5. Roll into 1 oz. balls and place in fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
  6. Roll in sugar and place on cookie sheet, then press down each cookie with the bottom of a glass. 
  7. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time keeping the other cookies in the fridge, 8-11 minutes. (Feel free to underbake these as there are no eggs that need to be cooked to a certain temp. You definitely don't want to overbake them, as that could dry them out.)
  8. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool until you can't wait any longer.
This makes a lot (40 cookies), and they come together very quickly, so I think it makes an ideal recipe for a cookie swap. I would say though, that if you want to maximize the crunchiness of the Oreos, the cookies should be eaten sooner rather than later. 

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say these were a hit. I whipped up some after snacking on the ones I received in the give away and brought them to my craft group before Christmas. Everyone loved them, even our hostess's 2 year old which surprised me she usually hates cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed them!

      Delete