Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dark and Stormy Truffles

I like sweet things. Did you know that about me? And one of my joys in life is to take non-desserts and turn them into desserts. Speaking of... I have a fab chocolate-covered appetizer coming your way soon. In the meantime, I thought I'd take one of my favorite drinks and turn it into a sweet treat. Have you ever had a Dark and Stormy? Ginger beer, rum (Kraken preferably), and lime. Yum-mo! Well I've turned this spicy concoction into booze-infused truffles. A perfect treat to take to a New Year's Eve party, by the way.  


Dark and Stormy Truffles
(Adapted from Desserts 4 Today)
Ingredients
  • 6oz. white chocolate 
  • 6T butter
  • 7oz. Ginger Thins (Anna's)
  • 3T KrakenTM Black Spiced Rum
  • 1T Rose's sweetened lime juice
Directions
  1. Process 7 ounces ginger thins in a food processor until crumbs. (Should make about 2 cups).
  2. Heat white chocolate and butter together in microwave until just melted.
  3. Stir rum and lime juice into the chocolate/butter mixture.
  4. Mix 1 ½ cups of processed ginger thins into the chocolate mixture and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, stirring twice.
  5. Scoop truffle goop into 2t-sized balls and roll each ball in the remaining crushed ginger thins until fully coated.
  6. I'll leave it to your discretion whether you want to put the truffles in the fridge to "set" and for how long. Definitely keep them there for storage, but I think they were best when they were a little soft.
The verdict? Well, I had two people tell me they were the best things I'd ever made. While I wouldn't go that far, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I could taste the ginger and rum without one over powering the other and the bit of lime juice, while not super detectable, gives the truffle a little tangy something.


No comments:

Post a Comment