For those of you out there who aren't into the whole "let's add pumpkin or apple to everything" kick that happens when the leaves change, I thought I'd throw out a recipe that is year-round awesome. Chocolate and peanut butter in convenient bar form? Yes, please!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
(Adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1c smooth peanut butter
- 8T butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1c Reese's Pieces (or as many as you see fit)
- 12oz peanut butter and milk chocolate morsels (Toll House has a mixed bag at Target, or you can just put in your preferred ratio of each)
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2t vanilla
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an ungreased 13- by 9-inch metal pan.
- Blend the cake mix, peanut butter, butter, and eggs in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. The batter will be thick.
- Reserve 1½ cups crust mixture for the topping. Turn the remaining batter into the pan and spread it evenly with your fingertips so that it reaches slightly up the sides of the pan. Set the pan aside.
- For the filling, place the pb and c chips and condensed milk in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave oven on high power for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir until the chocolate chips melt. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over reserved crust, and spread so that it reaches the edges of the pan. Then evenly sprinkle the Reese's Pieces over the filling.
- With your fingertips, crumble the reserved crust mixture over the top of the filling.
- Bake the bars until they 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool 30 minutes. Cut into 24 to 30 bars and enjoy.
Peeeeanut butteryyyyy goodness! These would be great for a crowd, so if you are heading to a fall-oriented shing-dig in the coming weeks, and think the pumpkin bit is tired, try these on for size. Believe me, three or four of them will fit perfectly on those hips of yours.