Hurray for cake balls and pancakes, but boo to friends leaving the country. (Don't worry, this was on a volunteer basis, she isn't being deported.) My buddy Ashlee is heading to Argentina next week for a hot minute. So we had a proper send off with pancakes for dinner and a healthy helping of Lemon Cake Balls to go with them.
Before we move on to the cake balls, you should be happy to know that Ashlee thought to bring fruit for the pancakes (because you know it didn't cross my mind), so her friends had more to choose from for mix-ins than cereal and candy.
Anysugarygoodness, let's get to it.
Lemon Cake Balls
- 1box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- necessary eggs, oil and water to bake cake
- 8oz buttercream frosting (from a can, suckas)
- white chocolate baking bark
- Bake cake as directed.
- Let cool completely and then crumble into big bowl.
- Combine frosting with cake until it's a gooey mess.
- Scoop into balls (2t cookie scoop) and chill in freezer.
- Meanwhile melt chocolate bark.
- Coat cake balls with bark and return to freezer to set.
I actually think this combination of lemon cake and buttercream frosting is a much better pairing than lemon cake and lemon frosting, which I have tried before and found a bit tart and overwhelming. Something to consider for my next lemon cake ball request: white cake and lemon frosting.