Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Movie Theater Cookies

These cookies originally promoted my search for what eventually morphed into Cracker Jack cookies. But I was still curious as to how these cookies would turn out. I mean I love cookies, and I love Kettle Corn. This recipe is originally from Blue Bonnets and Brownies.


Movie Theater Cookies
makes approximately 18 large cookies


Ingredients
  • 2c flour
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1/2t salt
  • 3/4c butter
  • 1c brown sugar
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 1T vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1c Raisinets (I used 1/2c milk and 1/2c dark)
  • 1c Kettle Corn

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F and prep baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
  3. Melt butter. Cream together the brown sugar, white sugar, and melted butter. Beat in the vanilla, whole egg, and egg yolk. Continue beating until batter is light and creamy.
  4. Add in flour mixture, mixing after each addition.
  5. Pop popcorn and allow to cool. Pick out any visible burnt pieces and kernels. Using your clean and dry hands, knead popcorn through them so that popped kernels become smaller, breaking away from the main kernel so that they’re smaller and more easily combined into a cookie.
  6. Add 1c Raisinets and 1c popcorn bits to the dough, stirring by hand.
  7. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto baking sheets. These cookies spread a LOT. They need to have at least 3″ of space between each ball of dough.
  8. Bake for 17 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
While others certainly enjoyed these cookies, and I did consume a couple myself, I wasn't really feelin' it. Mix-ins, I think, should enhance the taste, not detract from it. And, in my opinion, both the texture and the flavor of the popcorn take away from the awesomeness of the cookie itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment