Saturday, June 4, 2011

Creamsicle Cake Balls

Hurray for balls of cake! Variety is the spice of life and with so many cake and frosting flavors to mix and match, cake balls give my life a nice, spicy kick. This time around I was feeling a little fruity (when is that not the case though?), so I thought I'd bust out a creamsicle-based cake ball. 

What's the difference between a creamsicle and a dreamsicle? From what I've read on the always accurate and factual Internet, one has a center of ice milk and the other has ice cream (and I think one is orange flavored ice, while the other is sherbet). Which is which? Beats me! But does it matter? Nope! These are going to taste just awesome whatever you call them.


Creamsicle Cake Balls
Ingredients
  • Duncan Hines Supreme Orange cake mix (and the required eggs and oil)
  • Orange juice
  • white icing
  • white chocolate bark
Directions
  1. Bake cake as directed, substituting orange juice for the required amount of water.
  2. Let cake cool completely and then crumble up into the largest bowl in your house.
  3. Mix in a can of white frosting.
  4. Using your fabulous 2t cookie scoop, measure and round cake into balls and let chill in fridge.
  5. Meanwhile, melt the baking bark and dip the cake balls in it to coat, then throw them back into the fridge to harden.
While cake balls definitely can be on the heavy/decadent side, these were quite refreshing.  They are both creamy and dreamy...and orange-y! I think coating them in regular chocolate bark could be really good as well.

3 comments:

  1. I just made these but used marshmallow cream instead of cake frosting. The balls were a little stickier to roll but very dreamy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this but I used orange marmalade instead of icing. It was legend (wait for it) ary!

    ReplyDelete