Sunday, May 8, 2011

Masa Real

My fabulous neighbor gave me a fabulous recipe for a tasty Cuban pastry. AND she hooked me up with the main ingredient: guava paste.

So, I'm not going to lie to you; this is basically a butter sandwich: buttery pastry bottom, gooey guava middle and another buttery pastry layer to top it of. Which means it's got to be unbelievably good, right? Right.


Masa Real
Ingredients
  • 4c of flour
  • 1 1/2c sugar
  • 2T baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4lbs (3 sticks) of butter (I know, right!?!)
  • 2T shortening
  • 1pkg guava paste
Directions
  1. Slice the guava paste into 1/4inch thick slices.
  2. Melt butter and shortening together.
  3. Sift together dry ingredients and then add the eggs, blending with a fork.
  4. Slowly add the butter/shortening and continue to just use a fork to blend it up. (The key to making this dough a success is not to over mix. Using a fork allows you to combine the ingredients to create a crumbly texture.)
  5. In a 9x13 pan spread out half of the batter. Just kind of crumble it into the pan and let it cover the bottom. Don't smash it down much.
  6. Lay the slices of guava paste on the batter. (Try to cover it all).
  7. Crumble the rest of the dough evenly over top of the mixture. Again don't smash too much.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes and let cool completely (a couple of hours).
Oooooo so crumbly and buttery! I got the Hili seal of approval when I took some next door for a taste-test. This is great for breakfast with a glass of milk (so I hear)...or for lunch, dinner, or dessert. If you can't find guava paste, I'm sure any thick jelly-type substance would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment