Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dark Chocolate Brownie Bites with Raspberry Jam

I thought about gussying up the title to say "Raspberry Sauce," but you know I don't like to lie to you. It's jam. 

My super tall friends Ricky and Julie are going to have a super tall baby soon! (Yes, I am excited for them. It's not my baby.) So a couple of us got together to throw them a shower. I quickly demanded that I handle the desserts. Julie has a particular affinity towards dark chocolate so when I found this recipe, I knew that it would be a winner.


Dark Chocolate Brownie Bites

Ingredients
  • 1/2c butter
  • 1 heaping c sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • a little less than 3/4c 100% dark cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark), sifted
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t baking powder
  • 1/2T vanilla extract
  • 3/4c flour 
  • 1c dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2c raspberry jam
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a mini-muffin pan.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat (or in the microwave) then remove from heat. 
  3. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the butter mixture to the heat briefly, just until it’s hot, but not bubbling.
  4. In a smaller bowl, crack 2 eggs and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla till smooth. 
  5. Stir the hot butter mixture into the egg mixture until smooth.
    Stir in the flour and chocolate chunks (or chips) until just combined. 
  6. Fill your 2t cookie scoop generously and distribute the batter into the mini-muffin pan (You should get one and half pans worth).
  7. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean, with some moist crumbs but no loose batter. Cool completely on a rack before removing.
  8. Heat up the jam and drizzle it over the brownies and tell everyone it's a coulis. 
They were crunchy on the outside and dense and gooey on the inside. Had a bit of trouble getting them out of the tin as the tops wants to break, but managed to avoid that by scooping around the sides. The sweetness/tartness of the raspberry jam was a nice addition to the richness of the chocolate. I'm not big on dark chocolate, but I thought they were pretty okay. Julie definitely liked them. The batter was good, too! 

If you're reading this Grandma McKay, I totally discovered that by scooping out some batter with a clean spoon that I did not reuse. (Well, so much for not lying to you...)

No comments:

Post a Comment