Thursday, March 31, 2011

Girl Scout Cookie Truffles

Girl Scout cookies are quite fantabulous, so I was hesitant to use them to create something new instead of enjoying them on their own. Luckily, I had two boxes of both the Samoas and the Thin Mints. So I used a box of each to make these decadent delights, saving a box of each to eat straight up. Now, however, I'm not so sure I'm going to stick to that plan because these truffles were aaaaaaaaaaaawesoooooooooooome.

There are a handful of recipes on the web for Thin Mint and Samoa truffles, each with their own ratios of cookie crumb to cream cheese and other add-ins. This wasn't cutting the mustard for me, so I took a different approach. I know that Oreos truffles have the "right" crumb to cream ratio, so I used that recipe as a guide.

A traditional Oreo truffle recipe calls for 3 cups of Oreo crumbs and 8oz (one block) of cream cheese. After pulverizing both cookies, I wound up with a little less than 2 cups from one box of Thin Mints and a little more than 1 cup from a box of Samoas. After a bit of math, I realized that I needed 5oz of cream cheese for the Thin Mints and 3oz of the cream cheese for the Samoas. Hold the phone? I need 8oz and one block of cream cheese is how much? Perrrrrrrrrrrfection! Isn't it glorious when things work out like that?


Thin Mint Truffles

Ingredients
  • 1 box Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies, crushed
  • 5oz. cream cheese, softened
  • chocolate baking bark
Samoa Truffles

Ingredients
  • 1 box Samoa Girl Scout Cookies, crushed
  • 1/2c toasted coconut
  • 3oz cream cheese, softened
  • white chocolate baking bark
Directions
  1. Mix respective cookie crumbs with respective ratios of cream cheese. (Add the toasted coconut in the mix during this step for the Samoas).
  2. Scoop in to balls with your handy-dandy 2t cookie scoop.
  3. Shape and let chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
  4. Melt chocolate and coat respective truffles with respective bark (Thin Mint with chocolate and Samoa with white chocolate).
  5. Throw them in the fridge for like 5 minutes and then enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
I think people were split over which was better. But that's probably because they were both so great! The Thin Mints ones were especially tasty when they were cold (like Thin Mints from the freezer, only better). Yea, I'm totally torn about what to actually do with the cookies I have left over.

5 comments:

  1. Aha, I have this box of Samoas that I doubt i'll be able to power through now that Easter Candy season is upon us--and now I know what to do with them! EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to worry, Becky! While not the same when eaten alone, Keebler has their own version of both thin mints and caramel delites! Try using those and see if you get the same results while you gobble the boxes of authentic GS Cookies on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try these next season! I have made these with oreos, and they were awesome, I can only imagine how yummy these will be. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While you are waiting for Girl Scout cookies, take a look at what is currently available in the cookie aisle at the grocery store. Just about any cookie, crumbled up, mixed with cream cheese and covered in chocolate is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a box of Samoas and a box of Tag-a-Longs in my freezer. Now I know what I'm doing with them.

    ReplyDelete