Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Thank You Berry Munch Cookies... No Thanks to the Girl Scouts

GIRL SCOUT COOKIE SEASON! Allegedly they are arriving next week! 

So sometimes the Girl Scouts throw out a special cookie for the year. Last year's was "Thank You Berry Munch," a crispy, hearty cookie with white chocolate chunks and cranberries. I did not partake while they were available (I stick with Samoas and Thin Mints), but I heard they were good stuff, so I decided to replicated them.

I know they contained Rice Krispies (Hurray for cereal in things!), so I went looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe with that ingredient in mind. I didn't exactly find what I was looking for but one from BakingBlonde was close enough. I didn't change the base only the mix-in ingredients.



Thank You Berry Munch CopyCat Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4c flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2c packed brown sugar
  • 1/4c sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2t hot water
  • 1 1/2t vanilla
  • 1c Rice Krispies
  • 1/2c craisins
  • 3/4c white choc. chips
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  2. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. 
  3. Add eggs to butter, one at a time, beating until combined after each. 
  4. Mix in hot water and vanilla. 
  5. Add flour mixture, in two batches, beating just until combined. 
  6. Fold in craisins, chocolate chips and Rice Krispies. 
  7. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  8. Scoop out tablespoons of the dough and roll into balls. Place all balls on one baking sheet, and chill at least 30 min. 
  9. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8-12 minutes. Remove and let sit on the sheet for a minute. Move cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Having never tasted the original, I don't know how close these came. Regardless, this was a great cookie. Everyone really enjoyed them and they were polished off in a jiffy. 

I actually let the dough chill in the fridge overnight before I shaped it. However, I would recommend just chilling the dough for the minimum time so your Rice Krispies don't become Rice Just-a-Tad-Soggies.

3 comments:

  1. THESE WERE SO GOOD. I just ate four. Ugh. I'd put in even MORE rice crispies next time. Or actually use rice crispies and not generic "rice crunchies".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good recipe!
    The cookies came out excellent!!
    Thank you berry munch lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you tell me approx. how many cookies this recipe yields?

    ReplyDelete