Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie

I think cake and frosting are two of the greatest things you could put together. So a cake-like cookie filled with frosting is right up my alley. As I've probably mentioned, I'm getting more and more into baking with peanut butter. This creation was the perfect opportunity to go big or go home with a peanut butter-packed whoopie pie.

Can you believe I couldn't find a recipe for Peanut Butter Whoopies Pies? All of the recipes that were allegedly pb had chocolate cake. Lame. LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME! I wanted a PEANUT BUTTER whoopie pie. Not a chocolate whoopie pie with peanut butter filling. So I had to come up with this thing on my own.

I started with the Cake Mix Doctor's Peanut Butter Cake and compared it to some whoopie pie recipes using cake mix. This recipe reflects a combination of those recipes, plus a little more tweaking on my part. And I just straight up used CMD's Peanut Butter Frosting for the filling because it's just so friggin' good. 


Peanut Butter Lover's Whoopie Pie

Cake
  • 1 pkg yellow cake mix (I used Pilsbury)
  • 3eggs
  • 1/2c water
  • 1/2c + 1T oil
  • 1/3c + 2T creamy pb
Filling
  • 1c + 2T creamy pb
  • 8T butter, softened
  • 1t vanilla
  • 3T milk
  • 2c powdered sugar, sifted
  • Reese's Pieces, crushed
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and prep cookie sheets (parchment paper as always). Combine cake ingredients in mixer on low speed for 30 seconds; scrap the sides. Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes.
  2. Using a 1.5T cookie scoop, drop a heaping scoop cake batter onto the cookie sheet (I got about 8 on a sheet). Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and let cool.
  3. Meanwhile cream together softened butter and pb until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and 3T of milk. Mix on low for 1 min, or until all the sugar is incorporated. Then mix on medium for 1 min, until the frosting is lighter and fluffy.
  4. Fill piping bag with pb frosting. Pipe frosting onto bottom of one cookie and sandwich it with another. 
  5. Roll frosting in Reese's Pieces.
  6. Do not share. (I think it made around 20 to 24 whoopie pies).
These were sooooooo good. If you are into peanut butter, this is a perfect treat for you.

I had the option of rolling the whoopie pies in crushed Honey Roasted Peanuts or crushed Reese's Pieces (the picture above shows one of each). The pieces were the clear winner. Don't even bother with the nuts. (Ha, that's what he said.) I thought I would have more pies left over; that was definitely not the case. However, there is one in my fridge at home; I have plans to dream about all day today...sorry work.

Although they were a bit of work, these are going in the regular rotation. So. Ridiculously. Good.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not usually into repeat performances, but I am so making these again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to make these but didn't read the recipe as much as I should have and ended up with baked pancakes instead of thicker whoopie pies, the filling was so delicious though! - TJ employee

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear they didn't turn out. Feel free to email me to discuss further, cuz OH MAN they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete