Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oreo Truffle Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's meta-dessert time again! My last ball in a cupcake recipe was a big success, so I decided to rinse and repeat with different ingredients. This time around I took an already awesome Oreo truffle and dropped it in an equally awesome Cookies and Cream Cupcake to make a DOUBLE-LY AWESOME confection. Oh, did I mentioned it's topped with an Oreo buttercream? CAN YOU HANDLE THE AMOUNT OF AWESOME??? Do you have a choice? NO! I am going to hook you up with the recipe regardless.

You can find this Oreo truffle recipe all over the Internet; I made a half batch. The cupcake recipe is yet again from the Cake Mix Doctor and the frosting is from my ATK Baking Cookbook. 


Oreo Truffle Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Truffles
  • 1/2pkg. Oreos
  • 4oz. cream cheese, softened
Cupcakes
  • 1/2pkg. Oreo cookies
  • 1pkg. white cake mix
  • 1c sour cream
  • 1/2c vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1t vanilla extract
Frosting
  • 1 1/2c (3 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3T heavy cream
  • couple pinches of salt
  • 2t vanilla extract
  • 3c powdered sugar, sifted
Directions
  1. Pulverize 1/2 pkg. of Oreos in food processor. Add cream cheese and pulse until blended. Using a 2t cookie scoop, make balls of Oreo mixture and let chill. (Should get you around 24).
  2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 22-24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
  3. Place the cake mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 1 1/2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed.
  4. Crush rest of the pkg. of Oreos with a rolling pin so there are still small chunks. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the crushed Oreos and fold these into the batter until well incorporated. Set aside the remaining crushed Oreos for the frosting.
  5. Using a 1.5T cookie scoop, drop batter into each of the cupcake liners. Press an Oreo truffle into each cupcake and top with another 1.5T of batter; you can be a little more generous with the amount of batter. 
  6. Consume extraneous raw batter.
  7. Bake the cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
  8. Meanwhile, beat the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt together on medium-high speed until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. 
  9. Reduce the speed to medium-low, slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, and beat until smooth, 2 to 5 minutes.
  10. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, 4 to 8 minutes.
  11. Frost those cupcakes and roll the tops in the leftover crushed Oreos.
 These were great! I ate the bottom half of the cupcake with the truffle in it first and then dug into the rest of the cake and frosting.  I think people preferred the PB whoopie pies, but that didn't stop them from going for seconds (and thirds for one or two of them) of the cupcakes, as well. These are a fun to make, look at and eat treat. If you love Oreos, this cupcake is for you.

3 comments:

  1. eeeiiikkk! You have no idea how much it thrills me when I see my recipe being made all over the place. Yours look awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so indulging. Seeing our recipe makes me want to quit dieting. LOL. I should make some of this for my hubby's valentines date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm! I can't wait to smell a freshly baked cupcakes of yours in my kitchen. LOL. I should better try this on valentines day. My kids will surely love this.

    ReplyDelete