Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's meta-dessert time again! My last ball in a cupcake recipe was a big success, so I decided to rinse and repeat with different ingredients. This time around I took an already awesome Oreo truffle and dropped it in an equally awesome Cookies and Cream Cupcake to make a DOUBLE-LY AWESOME confection. Oh, did I mentioned it's topped with an Oreo buttercream? CAN YOU HANDLE THE AMOUNT OF AWESOME??? Do you have a choice? NO! I am going to hook you up with the recipe regardless.
You can find this Oreo truffle recipe all over the Internet; I made a half batch. The cupcake recipe is yet again from the Cake Mix Doctor and the frosting is from my ATK Baking Cookbook.
Oreo Truffle Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 1/2pkg. Oreos
- 4oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2pkg. Oreo cookies
- 1pkg. white cake mix
- 1c sour cream
- 1/2c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2c (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 3T heavy cream
- couple pinches of salt
- 2t vanilla extract
- 3c powdered sugar, sifted
- Pulverize 1/2 pkg. of Oreos in food processor. Add cream cheese and pulse until blended. Using a 2t cookie scoop, make balls of Oreo mixture and let chill. (Should get you around 24).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 22-24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Place the cake mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 1 1/2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed.
- Crush rest of the pkg. of Oreos with a rolling pin so there are still small chunks. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the crushed Oreos and fold these into the batter until well incorporated. Set aside the remaining crushed Oreos for the frosting.
- Using a 1.5T cookie scoop, drop batter into each of the cupcake liners. Press an Oreo truffle into each cupcake and top with another 1.5T of batter; you can be a little more generous with the amount of batter.
- Consume extraneous raw batter.
- Bake the cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt together on medium-high speed until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low, slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, and beat until smooth, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Frost those cupcakes and roll the tops in the leftover crushed Oreos.