Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lofthouse Cookies - Attempt 1

If you are not familiar with Lofthouse Cookies, stop reading and immediately go to the closest grocery store, Target or Wal-mart and purchase some. Best. Sugar Cookie. Ever. So, of course, I'd like to try to duplicate the recipe...along with the rest of the world. 

There are tons and tons of copycat recipes out there, all claiming to be THE ONE, or at least darn near it. I decided to start with the sugar cookie recipe on the back of a box of Jiffy mix and some random frosting that I just wanted to try out. And they looked a little something like this...

(Shout out to Melissa Kay for hooking me up with these awesome dolphin sprinkles.)

Lofthouse Cookies (Jiffy mix Sugar Cookies)
Ingredients
  • 2c "JIFFY" Baking Mix
    2/3c sugar
    1/3c milk
  • 5T shortening, softened
  • 1 egg
    1/2t vanilla
  • 1/2t almond extract
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment.
  2. Combine all ingredients and blend well. 
  3. Drop by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet. 
  4. Bake 6-8 minutes.
Frosting

Ingredients
  • 1lb powdered sugar
  • 1/2c shortening
  • 1/4c butter
  • 3T milk
  • 1 egg white
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2t vanilla
  • 1/2t almond extract
Directions
  1. Cream together sugar, salt, butter and shortening.
  2. Add egg white and vanilla and beat well.
  3. Gradually add milk and beat to a good consistency to frost the cookies.
The original cookie recipe calls for 1t of vanilla, but I wanted to try out the almond. I'll just stick with straight up vanilla next time. After reading comments on several message boards, I decided to reduce the baking time to 6 minutes (the recipe on the box says 8 to 10) and see how they turned out. I think they worked best with a 7 minute baking time. 

The icing was good, but again, I'll leave out the almond (which I also added in on my own) the next time I make it. I'm sure I'll use a different icing for the next batch, but I'll use this again for cakes as it is tasty.

Overall, the cookies turned out well and the people who tried them said that they were relatively close to the real thing. There are a few changes that I'm going to make based on the ingredient list on the back of a Lofthouse cookie box. I have plans to make more this weekend, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment