Saturday, January 8, 2011

Homemade Almond Joys

Why pay $0.75 for an Almond Joy in the store when you could spend lots more time and money trying to duplicate it at home? Because it's fun, that's why!

Making these candy bars reminded me of cake balls: you mix up the ingredients, scoop the coconut and shape the bars and dip them in chocolate. I didn't have to bake anything, so it took less time; however, it was just as difficult to not lick my fingers. (Don't worry taste testers, I don't have anything communicable...as far as you know).  

I got this recipe from, Joy the Baker, yet another food blog that I frequent.
 
(Oh my gosh, will you look at this awesome picture? Hurray light box!)

Homemade Almond Joy

Ingredients
  • 7oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 1c powdered sugar
  • 1T pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 1/2c unsweetened flaked coconut
  • 30 almonds
  • chocolate baking bark
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, spread raw almonds onto a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes. Cool to room temp.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract.  Stir in the unsweetened coconut.  Freeze for 30 minutes.
  3. Shape 1T of coconut into a little log about 2 inches long and 3/4-inch thick.  Press the logs together very well so they don’t crack when dipped.  Place the log onto a wax-lined baking sheet and continue until all of the coconut mixture is gone. 
  4. Press an almond on top of each coconut log. (I smashed mine in there good) and chill (the coconut bars, not you; you've got chocolate to melt).
  5. Melt the chocolate and coat the almond-topped bars.
  6. Chill for 45 minutes (this time you can join the Almond Joys).
  7. Feel the joy and the love.
I thought these were OK. Didn't taste like an Almond Joy to me. Too vanilla-y. If I were to make these again, I think I would do a half vanilla and half almond extract. But they were fun to make and they looked really cool. I didn't have any left after trivia, so even though they weren't a match, they were still pretty tasty on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment