Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bacon Velveeta Fudge

I'm looking at my labels for this post: bacon, cheese, and chocolate. Awesome.

For the past few days I've had the Velveeta song stuck in my head. You know, "It's Velveeta versus cheddar. Our Velveeta melts much better..." (Allan Sherman Ponchielli is turning over in his grave.) Now, you'll be singing it for the rest of the day.  And you're welcome. 

We can thank Paula Deen for this faboosh recipe.  Velveeta fudge has actually been around for a bit, but the bacon part was my doing. Ridiculous.

The original recipe made a lot of fudge so I halved it this time around. I have a bunch of Velveeta left over, so I'll probably make another batch this weekend.


Bacon Velveeta Fudge

Ingredients
  • 4oz Velveeta, cubed
  • 1/2c butter
  • 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 16oz. powdered sugar
  • 1/4c cocoa powder
  • 1/2pkg. of bacon, crispy and crumbled
Directions
  1. Line a 8- or 9-inch square pan with non-stick foil.
  2. Melt the cheese and butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
    In a large bowl sift together the sugar and cocoa. 
  3. Pour the cheese mixture into the sugar and cocoa mixture and stir until completely mixed.
  4. Mix in the bacon, sucka!
  5. Using your hands, remove candy from bowl and press evenly and firmly into pan. (You may have to blot the top because of all the buttery goodness).  Place pan in refrigerator until candy is firm.
  6. Cut into squares (I did 6x6).
We played the "Guess What's in the Fudge" game at trivia tonight. Nobody could figure it out. They were quite surprised to hear it was Velveeta. Truly, it's really tough to tell. It just has a nice creamy quality to it.  If you don't want to go too crazy, you can put a 1/2 cup of walnuts in it instead of bacon. Try it; you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so awesome. I'm totally making this for our Super Bowl party and not telling anyone what's in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling you, unless they've heard of it before, they won't be able to guess what it is.

    ReplyDelete