I was again commissioned to make a cake. This one was a little more involved than I was used to, but I was happy to do it! I didn't try any but MAN it smelled great!
I like using not so common ingredients in desserts. This cake called for Guinness beer. Good times.
1 c Guinness beer
1/2 c + 2 T butter
1/2 c dutch-processed cocoa
2 c superfine sugar
3/4 c sour cream (I used light)
1 T vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 t baking soda
8 oz. cream cheese (I use low fat)
1 1/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9" spring form pan and line with parchment paper.
- Pour Guinness into large saucepan and add butter. Heat until butter melts, then remove from heat. Whisk in cocoa and sugar.
- In a bowl, beat sour cream with eggs and vanilla.
- Add sour cream mixture to Guinness mixture in saucepan. Beat in flour and soda.
- Bake 45-60 min. Cook completely and cool on wire rack.
- For frosting: Beat sugar and cream cheese until creamy. Slowly add heavy cream and beat until spreadable. Ice only top on cake to resemble foam on the top of beer.