Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holy Deep-Fried Cake Balls, Batman!

Counter-top deep fryer? Best. Idea. Ever. We've already deep-fried a number of things: pretzels, Doritos, Reese's Pieces, Oreos, jalapenos, pot stickers, mini-Hot Pockets called Hot Shots, basically anything we could get our hands on. But the best thing by far (BY FAR!!) were the cake balls.

Again, like with the cupcakes, I did not coat the cake balls in chocolate. But I did coat them in a tasty batter. The batter I used is usually used for deep-frying Twinkies. It's got vinegar in it, which cuts the sweetness of the batter to keep it from overpowering the actual thing that is being fried. Worked great.



Deep-Fried Cake Balls

Ingredients
  • 1c milk
  • 2T vinegar
  • 1T oil
  • 1c flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1/2t salt
  • one batch of cake balls, frozen (your choice, but I used Funfetti)

Directions
  1. Ready your cake balls and your deep fryer.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients, sans the balls (kind of like a eunuch, tee-hee!).
  3. Coat the cake balls in the batter. Fry until light to golden brown (eh, as soon as the batter looks done, take them out)
Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! These were soooooooooooo amazing. Ryan (Mr. I-don't-do-sweets) even had to admit that they were good. I am so making them again, and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Oh! Before I end, I should make sure I mention that these were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD! (In case I wasn't clear before).

2 comments:

  1. Why not just use buttermilk? That is what the milk and vinegar is gonna do anyway. Then again most people don't keep buttermilk on hand. Also have you considered icing the cake balls. Freezing them. Battering them. Refreezing, then battering and frying. I am thinking the double layer of batter would protect the icing more. Just a thought. Please do not assume I am attempting to step on your creative genius. It is just fried food sends me into an experimental tizzy. Fried food is a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I definitely don't keep buttermilk on hand.

    I hadn't considered coating the cake balls in chocolate first. I tried frying a chocolate covered Peep that had been frozen (albeit, not for a long time), but the chocolate still melted upon frying. Double coating the cake ball may work. It is certainly something to consider. Although I don't know how well the batter would stay on the cake ball during the freezing process. Things to think about, but you don't really know until you try it, right?

    If you make any attempts, please let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete