Monday, December 6, 2010

Funfetti Cake Ball Chocolate Cupcakes

Some people think it's weird that I baked my own cake for my birthday. But it's my birthday and I'll bake if I want to, bake if I want to, baaaaaaaaaake if I want to. And I always want to. (Ha! That song is so going to be stuck in your head now!)

You know I'm a fan of the meta-desserts, so I took inspiration from one of my favorite food blogs, Bake It in a Cake. I thought to myself, "What the most awesome thing I could bake inside a cake?" DUH! MORE CAKE!!!

So Funfetti Cake Ball Chocolate Cupcakes were born!


Funfetti Cake Ball Chocolate Cupcakes

Part 1: Cake Balls


Ingredients
  • 1 box Funfetti cake (with corresponding eggs, oil, water)
  • 8 oz Funfetti frosting
  • As many extra multi-colored sprinkles as you can jam in there
Directions
  1. Bake cake as directed and let cool.
  2. Crumble up cake into HUGE bowl. Mix in all of the frosting and tons of sprinkles.
  3. Scoop into tablespoon-size balls and let chill.
Part 2: Chocolate Cupcakes (I used the Cake Mix Doctor's Sour Cream Choc. Cupcakes)

Ingredient
s
  • 1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix with pudding
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients at low speed until incorporated, then at medium speed for 2 minutes.
  2. Line cupcake pan.
  3. Scoop 1T of cake batter in each cupcake pan.
  4. Place one cake ball into each T of batter.
  5. Top with an additional heaping 1T of cake batter.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (it may take more time, but start with that) and let cool completely.
Part 3: Frosting

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 cups (1 lb) confectioners sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions
  1. Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
  2. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Then, frost those meta-awesome-cakes up, roll the tops in sprinkles and prepare to eat the best birthday cupcake ever! EVER!!

They were moist and fabulous, and exactly what I was hoping for. It was time consuming as I had to bake two totally different cakes (and the scooping and rolling of the balls takes time), but man was it worth it. WORTH IT!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am a die-hard cupcake fanatic and I thought this would be all to hard for a 13 year old like myself to do... I tried it and they were amazing! I found my new idol! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky - I found your recipe from bakeitinacake.com and made these wonderful cupcakes for a friend's birthday last week. They were a big hit and were enjoyed by everyone! Thanks for sharing this :)

    -Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! Thanks to both of you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, thanks for the fabulous idea!! I'm going to make these to take to a Super Bowl party, with a green cake ball, and yellow cake! Also, I've spent some time perusing the rest of your blog. I love it! Keep up the deliciousness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky! These look awesome! So creative combining two different recipes like this! I will be making this soon!
    P.S. This is Sara, I met you at Duncan Hines! :) I'm Mocha!

    ReplyDelete