I knew at one point that I definitely wanted to make coffee cake, but it took me a hot minute to decide on the recipe. I didn't want to make just one flavor option, so this recipe from Betty Crocker/Bisquick actually turned out great as it made two cakes. Switching out the fruit was simple.
Fruit Swirl Coffee Cake
- 4 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 can cherry pie filling AND 1/2 can peach pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 1 (15x10x1-inch) pan or 2 (9-inch) square pans with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, stir all coffee cake ingredients except pie filling; beat vigorously with spoon 30 seconds.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter (about 2 1/2 cups) in 15x10-inch pan or one-third of the batter (about 1 1/4 cups) in each square pan. Spread cherry pie filling in one pan and peach pie filling in the other (filling may not cover batter completely). Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls onto pie filling.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Meanwihle, in small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over warm coffee cake. Serve warm or cool.