Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December Dessert - Buckeye Balls

My dessert-for-a-year winner tried these peanut butter-y treats at a friend's house and just had to have some of her own. Although I've never made Buckeye Balls before, there were on my to-do list, so I was quite pleased that she requested them.

Buckeye Balls are named as such because they resemble a buckeye nut. A buckeye nut kind of looks like an eyeball: the ball of the eye being darker (the chocolate coating) and the iris being the lighter part of the nut (the peanut butter peeking through). My Buckeyes? Not so much buckeye looking as completely covered in chocolate. Meh, I'm totally okay with that.

OH MY GOSH GUESS WHAT!!! This recipe contains cereal!!! I was going to have to change my blog to thebaconbaker (ooo, that actually has potential) if I didn't make something with cereal in it soon.

I got the recipe from my coworker, Jillian, who makes Buckeye Balls for Christmas pretty much every year. So away we go...


Buckeye Balls

Ingredients
  • 1/2c butter, softened
  • 2c creamy peanut butter (I used the HT brand. Holla!)
  • 3c Rice Krispies
  • 1lb. (about 4 to 4 1/2c) powdered sugar
  • 1pkg. chocolate baking bark
Directions
  1. Cream together butter and peanut butter to make peanut butter butter. (That amuses me; don't ask me why.)
  2. In a large large large large bowl, mix together p. sugar (sift into bowl) and Rice Krispies.
  3. Add pbb mixture to cereal mixture and mash together using your hands (HURRAY!) until fully combined.
  4. Scoop and roll tablespoon-sized (1 inch) balls and chill for 1 hour.
  5. Melt baking bark and coat.
These were pretty darn great! It makes a bunch and it is actually less work than making cake balls (similar directions).

I haven't gotten feedback from Wanda yet; however my sessy (sexy and sassy) friend Ryan (Shout out!) really enjoyed them. And he doesn't do sweets (sometimes he won't even try my creations!), so that says a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I make these all the time, though my recipe is a little different:
    Mix together peanut butter and confectioners sugar and butter and then form into small balls. Then cool the balls in the fridge or freezer to make them harden. With a toothpick, you then stick them into a bowl of chocolate hardening sauce and freeze them until they are hard (maybe 24 hours?). With the toothpick in place, you can make sure some of the peanut butter is still showing to make it look like a real Buckeye!

    It's like my new go-to dessert to make because they are so yummy and easy to make. I like the recipe you use though with the Rice Krispies though. That added crunch sounds great!

    ReplyDelete