Friday, November 26, 2010

Super Simple Pumpkin Tiramisu

My brother and his wife recently bought a townhouse and wanted to host Thanksgiving. So we made the trek up to MD on Wednesday night and I busted out this award-winning dessert for dinner the next day.

I know what you're thinking, "Becky, did you say 'award-wining'?" Why, yes, I did. Thanks for asking. Wanna hear the story? Of course, you do.

Last year our church held a pumpkin-themed cooking/baking contest. They had a few categories: entree, dessert, most creative and overall greatest-pumpkin-based-food-you'll-ever-eat-in-your-entire-life-prepared-by-the-most-awesome-person-you'll-ever-meet-in-your-life. Guess which category I won for my Pumpkin Tiramisu? Suffice to say I thought it would be a good idea to reprise this recipe for Thanksgiving.

I found the recipe on Epicurious.com. And this Super Simple Pumpkin Tiramisu didn't lie to me (unlike the penuche frosting)! It IS super simple!


Super Simple Pumpkin Tiramisu

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2c chilled heavy whipping cream
  • 3/4c sugar
  • 8oz. mascarpone cheese
  • 15oz. pumpkin pure
  • 1 1/2t pumpkin pie spice
  • 2pkgs (3oz. each) halved ladyfingers
  • 1/4c rum
  • 2oz. thin ginger snap cookies, crushed
Directions
  1. Beat mascarpone, pumpkin and pie spice until well combined (no streaks of cheese).
  2. Beat whipping cream and sugar until peaks form.
  3. Fold whipped cream into pumpkin mixture until fully incorporated.
  4. Line bottom of 8 1/2-inch spring-form pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 1 package ladyfingers, overlapping and crowding to fit. Brush with 2T rum.
  5. Spread half of filling over ladyfingers.
  6. Repeat with second package ladyfingers, remaining 2T rum, and remaining filling. Smooth.
  7. Wrap tightly in plastic, then foil. Chill overnight. (Wanted to make sure you saw this.)
  8. To unmold, run knife around inside edge of pan. Release and remove pan side.
  9. Sprinkle with ginger snap cookies immediately before serving.
Based on the reviews, I switched up the recipe just a bit. (The recipe above reflects my changes). I doubled the pumpkin pie spice (it needed to be stepped up a notch), beat the pumpkin mixture together first (for a smoother consistency), and used ginger cookies instead of another kind (Oh snap!) that I don't feel like going back to see how to spell correctly. I think all of these changes were an improvement as it won me an apron (!) last year.

You have to put the cookies on the top only right before you cut it because they can soften up quickly and the texture of the crunchy cookies really adds to the final outcome.

This is truly a great fall recipe that you can put together in a jiffy (the night before you need it, that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment