Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Variety Is the Spice of Life: The Cookie Cake Pie Edition

I originally ran across the concept of a Cookie Cake Pie earlier on in the year and decided that it need to become part of my regular rotation. But I've just been finding so many other new and equally enticing recipes that I put this one on the back burner.

The ingredients are simple: one pie crust, one batch cookie dough, one cake mix (the "snack size" that makes 12 cupcakes is perfect for this; otherwise, you should only use half the mix), and frosting. The directions are just as easy: slap that pie crust in a pie plate, smash the cookie dough down in there and top with cake batter, bake it, cool it, frost it.


Everything can be a pre-made or a box mix. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

But here comes the tricky part; try to stay with me now: exactly what kind of crust, dough, batter, frosting do you use? The possibilities are endless! I couldn't commit to just one combination, so I made two of these bad boys.



Cookie Cake Pie Version 1
Ingredients
  • one pre-made pie crust (ain't not shame in my game)
  • one batch white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies dough
  • one snack-sized chocolate cupcake mix (and the necessary eggs, oil and water)
  • one 8oz can buttercream frosting
Directions
  • In pie plate layer pie crust, cookie dough (smash it down in there) and cake batter.
  • Cover the crust with foil for the first 20 to 25 minutes of baking.
  • Bake at 350 until the cake is fully baked (it took around 35 to 45 minutes) and everything else will just kind of work out.
  • Cool completely and frost. Then slice that baby up and enjoy!
The buttercream frosting is a new thing from both Duncan Hines and Pilsbury. I used the Duncan Hines buttercream this time around and found that it pretty much tasted like vanilla frosting. Seeing as I do not like canned vanilla frosting (fluffy white all the way!), I was not impressed. But this version was still tasty over all.

Now be sure to clean those spectacles before you read this next part just to make use you don't miss the important difference.


BROWNIE Cake Pie Version 2
Ingredients
  • one pre-made pie crust
  • one batch pre-made brownie bites (these were quite elusive, shout out to TollHouse on this one)
  • one snack-sized funfetti cupcake mix (and the necessary eggs, oil and water)
  • one 8oz can fluffy white (holla!) frosting

Directions...same as above, sucka!

As Michelle Tanner would say, "Yummy in the tummy!" Like I said, this is a fun and easy recipe. And the only thing to limit you is your own creativity. I'm still contemplating mixing up the pie crust to a graham or an oreo. I'll be sure to let you all know how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment