Friday, October 1, 2010

The Great Pumpkin...Bread

It's officially fall! Time to bust out the pumpkin and apple recipes. I decided to start the season off right with one of Kyle's favorites.

I'm not particularly a fan of pumpkin bread. I don't know why. But Kyle sure likes it, and he is partial to this particular recipe. That being said, this is a flavorful, dense and moist bread. And it's dairy-free, which is a bonus for me should I choose to eat some. Shout out to Kyle's mom for hooking me up with the recipe.

It's again time for Conversations with Kyle. I'm sure you notice the chunk missing from the bread. I went to take a picture of the bread and it was there. Trying to figure out how that happened went a little something like this...

Becky: Kyle, there is a chunk missing from the bread. I was hoping to take a picture of it. Did it fall apart or did you tear a piece off?
Kyle: Neither. I bit it off.
Becky: ...

Are you sensing a pattern with how many of my conversations end with my husband?

Yes, Kyle took a bite directly from the loaf of bread. I guess he was done sharing.


Pumpkin Bread
Ingredients
  • 15 oz pumpkin puree
  • 1c vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2c all-purpose flour
  • 3c sugar
  • 1 1/2t baking soda
  • 1 1/2t salt
  • 1 1/2t ground allspice
  • 1 1/2t ground nutmeg
  • 2t ground cinnamon
  • 1c chopped walnuts
  • 1t baking powder
Directions
  1. Mix pumpkin, oil and eggs.
  2. In a BIIIIIIIIG bowl, sift together dry ingredients (nuts, too).
  3. Pour the pumpkin mix over the dry ingredients and blend thoroughly.
  4. Split between two greased loaf pans (I use regular-sized glass pans) and bake at 300F for 60 to 75 minutes.
We don't usually put the walnuts in the bread; however, it makes two loaves so we thought we might as well try it out in one of the loaves. Ironically, once we put the nuts in the bread, we didn't think there were enough. The original recipe calls for 1/2c of walnuts split between two loaves but I doubled it in the recipe above to reflect our new opinion.

OH! So, I said before that I am not particularly a fan of pumpkin bread in general (there are other things I'd rather have) but the batter, oooooooo the batter. I could sit down with that bowl and eat that mess with a spoon. Soooo tasty.

If you are looking for a baked good to give as a gift, this bread is a sure bet. I like how it makes two loaves so we (read: Kyle) can keep one and then give away or share the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment