Monday, July 19, 2010

Chocolate-Covered Bacon-Stuffed Peeps

Chocolate-covered bacon? Awesome. Chocolate-covered Peeps? Awesome! (At least the homemade ones, not that crap the Peeps company is trying to sell). So, chocolate-covered bacon-stuffed Peeps? MIND-BLOWINGLY FANTASTIC!!!

Now, THIS would be an example of a recipe that I couldn't find anywhere. The closest I got was a chick Peep with a strip of bacon wrapped around it. But that did me no good. So there I was with a package of bacon, some bunny Peeps and my chocolate baking bark, wondering how in the world I was going to get these things to stay together. Take a look at this baking masterpiece.


Chocolate-Covered Bacon-Stuffed Peeps
Ingredients
  • 36 Bunny Peeps
  • 22 pieces of bacon
  • 1 pkg chocolate baking bark
Directions (I'll discuss the process in much more detail below.)
  1. Cook bacon until crispy. Pat dry and let cool to room temp.
  2. Prepare Peeps for bacon
  3. Put bacon in Peeps
  4. Melt baking bark.
  5. Dip Peeps and let cool.
I began by cooking the bacon. I figured I could get two Peeps filled per piece of bacon and I had 36 Peeps on hand (been saving these boys up since Easter). I wanted to have some wiggle room, so I cooked up around 22 pieces of bacon.

I then had to figure out how to get the bacon to stay together with the Peep so I could surround them both in chocolate goodness. Scratching my head....scratching my head....LIGHTBULB! I took my kitchen shears and cut the bunnies up their sides leaving the ears as a kind of joint. I then stuck in a piece of bacon and gave it a little smooooooosh.


I melted my baking bark, got my cookie sheet lined with wax and started dipping. It was tough because the sides of the Peeps wanted to separate and let that precious precious bacon just fall right out of there, but I prevailed. The results were phenomenal. I took them to the All-Church Pig Pickin' and they were a hit. Life changing, I was told.

But wait...it gets better. While we were setting up for the festivities, Mike (a gentleman and a scholar) looked over at the hushpuppy makin' station and said to me, "Hey Becky, how about we deep fry a couple of these things?" My immediate thought: Marry me.

So that's exactly what we did (the deep fried part, not the marriage part). Mike put two of those suckers in the freezer and after the hushpuppies had been fried, we threw the choco-bacon Peeps in the leftover batter, dropped them in the hot oil and the universe immediately collapsed on itself from the pure-unadulterated awesomeness.


The chocolate melted off a little, but OH MAN there are NO WORDS. But wow, just wow.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything quite like this... I want one... NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a shout out on the blog! These peeps were awesome. Let me know next time you want to deep fry anything stuffed with bacon!

    ReplyDelete