Monday, July 26, 2010

Angus Barn Sour Cream Pound Cake - July Dessert

July dessert time! I've never made a pound cake before. This monthly dessert donation is really giving me an opportunity to try things I otherwise might not attempt...and I like it!

The cake was dense, and I think a little too crusty. But when I cut into it (she wanted me to slice of a chunk for her son), it had a lovely crumb and smelled really good.


The Angus Barn Sour Cream Pound Cake

Ingredients

  • 3C sugar
  • 1C butter, softened
  • 6 eggs
  • 3C cake flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1C sour cream
  • 2t vanilla

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 1 (10-inch) tube pan or 2 (9-by-5-inch) loaf pans; set aside.
  2. With an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add flour alternately with sour cream to sugar-butter-egg mixture, beating until well-combined. Add vanilla and mix through.
  3. Pour mixture into prepared pan or pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean (about 1 hour for loaf pans, 15 minutes longer for the tube pan).
It took longer (as it always seems to) for the cake to fully bake. I think it came out too dark and had to cut away some of the crust to make it presentable. I baked it in a tube pan, but I think on my next pound cake attempt I'll use clear loaf pans so I can keep a closer eye on the color (and cut down on the baking time, I hope).

I used my silicon tube pan and I have to say that I'm becoming more and more disappointed with my silicon bakeware. Sure, it's easy to clean, but I'm not usually happy with how it bakes things. I'm contemplating replacing them with regular bakeware. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. The temperature was too high, pound cakes are cooked at 325 or lower.

    ReplyDelete