Sunday, July 18, 2010

Angel Strawberry Bavarian

It's summer, which means lighter fruity desserts are a main stay. Before I branched out to loving cake in general more than I love...well lots of things, my favorite cake was Angel Food with Cool Whip and Strawberries. I managed to find a recipe that crammed all of this in to one gelatinous concoction: Angel Strawberry Bavarian. I don't know if it's technically a meta-dessert, but you take Angel Food Cake and chop it up to put into a jell-o, cool whip mix that you then put in a Angel Food Cake mold. So it's kind of like a cake within a cake. I got the recipe from Duncan Hines.

Angel Strawberry Bavarian
Ingredients
  • 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Angel Food Cake Mix
  • 10 oz frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
  • 1 (3 oz) pkg strawberry gelatin (I used sugar-free!)
  • 1c boiling water (my water was sugar-free, too)
  • 8 oz Cool Whip (I used Cool Whip Free)
Directions
  1. Bake and cool cake as directed (or shoot, just buy one from the store) and cut in to 1 inch pieces.
  2. Drain thawed strawberries, reserving juice. Combine gelatin and boiling water in small bowl. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add enough water to strawberry juice to measure 1 cup; stir into gelatin. Refrigerate until gelatin is slightly thickened. Beat gelatin until foamy.
  3. Fold together whipped topping, gelatin and strawberries.
  4. Alternate layers of cake cubes and strawberry mixture into 10-inch tube pan. Press lightly. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours. Unmold cake onto serving plate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Man it was good! Light and creamy and the flavors, of course, go great together. All in all, it was easy to make and Bavari (get it? get it? I'm soooooooo clever) tasty.

Oh! This really isn't bad for you either. I cut it into 16 slices and each slice is only 3 points according to Weight Watchers. Good times.

2 comments:

  1. Had it before 40 years ago and it is memorable!
    Just pulled out my recipe and it is identical. Thanks for figuring the points!
    K.D. Twin Cities, MN

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have this at every holiday dinner. my dad would call it Calf Slobbers, but it was one of his favorites.

    ReplyDelete