Friday, March 5, 2010

Twinkie Tunnel Cake


I like making meta-desserts. I found the cookies with Oreos in them to be a successful endeavor, and I have to say the same about this tasty treat: Twinkies baked inside a cake.

Twinkie Tunnel Cake

1 box cake mix
4 to 6 Twinkies

1. Make cake mix as directed. Pour half or less of batter into bundt pan.
2. Lay in the Twinkies and pour over the rest of the batter.
3. Bake as directed.

Actually for me it took about an hour to bake. But I put a box of chocolate pudding in the cake mix so that might have something to do with it. For the Twinkie set up, I placed four Twinkies flat side up into the batter. Then I slice 2 Twinkies lengthwise and threw them on top.

The recipe was successful. I don't know if it was GREAT, but it was good. It's basically like a cake wrapped...in a cake (hence the meta-dessert). I froze the Twinkies and kept the first four whole in the hopes that the filling would stick around. But as the cake baked it kind of puffed into the Twinkies making the entire yellow cake part moist. This same thing happens when you deep-fry them.

I have a few other Twinkies recipes that I'm going to be trying out soon. I'm excited to see the results of those. (One of them is a no bake, so I'll get to keep all the filling-goodness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment