Sunday, March 21, 2010

She's My (Almond) Cherry Pie


For the past few years I've been helping out with a bachelor auction in the late winter (February). This year I donated my baking skills: one homemade dessert a month for the rest of the year. Last month was chocolate covered potato chips. This month is cherry pie!

My mom has this pie crust recipe that I love love love! So I used that and threw in some canned pie filling (yum!). In addition, and this is a pie-making first for me, I added in some shaved almond paste. Almonds and cherries make a lovely flavor combo. I had some paste leftover from macaroons (post to come), so I thought, "Why not?"

Almond Cherry Pie

2 c flour (sifted)
1 t Salt
2/3 c shortening
6 T COLD water

2 cans pie filling
1 oz almond paste, grated

1. Combine flour and salt.
2. Cut shortening into flour/salt until it resembles crumbs.
3. Add in water a few T at a time (you may not need it all) until it combines to form a dough
4. Slice dough in half and roll out one half.
5. Lay pie crust into pie pan and add in 1 can of filling.
6. Grate .5 oz of almond paste over filling. Repeat with second can and rest of paste.
7. Roll out other half of dough and top the pie.
8. Do what ever you gotta do to the edges. And to the top (I usually brush the top with some milks and sugar, but we didn't have fresh milk, so I used egg white).
9. Bake 30-40 min at 350 degrees until golden brown.

I would definitely let it cool completely. It will stay together better when you slice it if it is cooled.

Couldn't slice into it because it's not mine, but I hope she likes her pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment