Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cereal Crusted French Toast

I (heart) breakfast for dinner. We used to make mix-in pancakes at dinner time once a week for a while (oh my gosh, they are ridiculous). And then we were on an egg burrito kick. I'd like to throw both back in to the rotation.

So we thought we'd try a different breakfast for dinner this time. A double-breakfast, too: French toast AND cereal.

I used the recipe from Baking Bites.

Cereal-Crusted French Toast
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-6 thick slices of bread
2 cups crushed cereal

Mix up the liquid. Dip in the bread. Smash it into the cereal and grill on the griddle. If you don't have a griddle, you need to come over so I can smack you upside the head...and then make you pancakes. Griddles are great for French toast, pancakes, quesadillas, grilled sandwiches, especially if you have a crowd you are feeding. Since we make pancakes so often, we get great use out of ours.

In the picture above, you can actually see the different cereals we used: The one in the back is Fruity Pebbles (of course). The one in the front is a trio—Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cap'n Crunch, and, yes, Oreos. The Oreos are not cereal, I know, but they were awesome. We mostly did single cereals on each, but I was trying to finish up the leftovers on this one.

We also had some toppings options: Cool Whip, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, and strawberry jam. The Oreo with the chocolate syrup was awesome. And the Fruity Pebble with the strawberry jam was good, too.

Although I consider this a successful experience, I have to agree with Kyle that the pancakes are far superior. We'll have to make pancakes again soon so I can post some pictures of the mix-ins and combos that we create.

No comments:

Post a Comment